Department of History
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive MC 0104
H&SS Room: 4024
David Goodblatt has taught at UCSD since 1988. He received his A.B. from Harvard in 1963, an M.H.L. from the Jewish Theological Seminary of America in 1966, and a Ph.D. from Brown University in 1972. He works on the history of the Jewish people, Judaism and the Middle East in the millennium preceding the rise of Islam.
- Rabbinic Instruction in Sasanian Babylonia (Leiden: Brill, 1974).
- The Monarchic Principle. Studies in Jewish Self-government in Antiquity (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 1994).
- Historical Perspectives: from the Hasmoneans to Bar Kokhba in Light of the Dead Sea Scrolls, co-edited with A. Pinnick and D.R. Schwartz (Leiden: Brill, 2001).
- "The Union of Priesthood and Kingship in Second Temple Judea," Cathedra 102 (2001), pp. 7-28.
- "The Temple Mount--The Afterlife of a Biblical Phrase," in LeDavid Maskil. A Birthday Tribute to David Noel Freedman, ed. R.E. Friedman and W.H. Propp (Winona Lake, Indiana: Eisenbrauns), 2004, pp. 91-101.
- "The End of Sectarianism and the Patriarchs," in For Uriel. Studies in the History of Israel in Antiquity Presented to Professor Uriel Rappaport, ed. M. Mor, J. Pastor, I. Ronen and Y. Ashkenazi, Jerusalem: Zalman Shazar Center for Jewish History, 2005, pp. 23-36.
- Elements of Ancient Jewish Nationalism. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- "The Jews in Babylonia 66-235 CE," The Cambridge History of Judaism Volume 4: The Late Roman-Rabbinic Period, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006, pp. 82-90.
- "The History of the Babylonian Academies," The Cambridge History of Judaism Volume 4: The Late Roman-Rabbinic Period, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006, pp. 821-839.
- "The Political and Social History of the Jewish Community of Palestine c. 235-638," The Cambridge History of Judaism Volume 4: The Late Roman-Rabbinic Period, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006, pp. 404-430.
- "Dating Documents in Herodian Judaea," Herod and Augustus, ed. D.M. Jacobson and N. Kokkinos, Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2009, pp. 127-154.
Work in Progress
Hasmonean-Herodian Judah: Identity and Culture.
- HINE 102. The Jews in their Homeland in Antiquity.
- HINE 103. The Jewish Diaspora in Antiquity.
- HINE 108. The Middle East Before Islam.
- HINE 170. Special Topics in Jewish History.
- HITO 104. The Jews and Judaism in the Ancient and Medieval Worlds.