- Department launches search for inaugural Gerry and Jeannie Ranglas Endowed Chair in Ancient Greek History
- History seeks tenure-track faculty member in history of 19th-20th century Japan
Congratulations to Joe Esherick and Paul Pickowicz and 16 of their former UCSD grad students on the occasion of the publication of an anthology honoring Joe and Paul, "Visualizing Modern China: Image, History, and Memory, 1750-Present" (Lexington Books, in press). The volume is edited by James Cook (Pittsburgh); Joshua Goldstein (USC); Matthew Johnson (Grinnell); and Sigrid Schmalzer (U Mass) and contributors include: Jeremy Brown (Simon Frazer); Michael Chang ( George Mason); Madalene Dong (University of Washington); Christian Hess (Sophia University-Japan); Liu Lu (Ithaca College); Cecily McCaffrey (Willamette); Andrew Morris (Cal Poly); Charles Musgrove (St. Mary's College-Maryland); Elena Songster (St. Mary's College-Oakland); Xiao Zhwei (Cal State San Marcos); and Zheng Xiaowei (UC Santa Barbara).
- Congratulations to Professor Bob Edelman, who has won a highly competitive Collaborative Research grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities for his ongoing work on The Global History of Sport in the Cold War. Bob and his colleague Chris Young (Pembroke College, Cambridge) have been awarded a three-year grant to convene three international scholarly workshops on the topic of sport and politics during the Cold War and will publish the resulting papers and associated materials through two print volumes and an open access website.
- UC San Diego Named Nation’s 8th Best Public University by U.S. News and World Report
- UC San Diego Ranked Best University Washington Monthly ranks UC San Diego best university for 5th consecutive year