The History Department encourages its majors and minors to study abroad. No book, movie or other source can impact a student as viscerally as visiting the place where historic events took place and immersing oneself in the culture and people shaped by those events. Students are able to fulfill major or minor requirements as participants in the Education Abroad Program (EAP), Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), or a Global Seminar. The History Department ordinarily accepts a maximum of four upper-division study abroad courses toward completion of the major, and two upper-division study abroad courses toward completion of the minor.
Contact the Study Abroad Office at (858) 534-1123 or via email at email@example.com for more information.
Students considering study abroad must meet with the Study Abroad Faculty Advisor before going abroad to discuss how study abroad coursework will fulfill requirements for the History major or minor. Students should note that:
Students will need to provide supporting evidence (course descriptions, course syllabi, papers, exams, etc.) of all abroad courses to be applied toward completion of the History major/minor. Most study abroad coursework will need to be petitioned upon student's return.
Once a student's study abroad course work has transferred (appears on the student's transcripts) s/he will need to follow the steps below to petition his/her abroad courses.
- Fill out an Undergraduate Student Petition [PDF] for each course.
- Include department course number and course title as it appears on your transcript.
- Attach a copy of your transcript (with the study abroad courses listed) from TritonLink to the petition.
- Submit your petition and supporting evidence (course descriptions, course syllabi, papers, exams, etc.) to the Undergraduate Student Affairs Advisor who will review your materials and then forward them to the department EAP Faculty Advisor for review.
- You will be notified via email or the VAC once your petition has been approved or denied.
If you have questions about this process or require assistance with filling out the paperwork please contact the Undergraduate Advisor.
Are you a History Major or Minor who has recently returned from study abroad? We'd love to have a picture of you abroad for use on this page. Please send the following to the Undergraduate Advisor:
- large format image(s) of you abroad
- full name
- location (country, town, province, landmark)
- (optional) a quote about how study abroad enriched your study of History