The Department of History admits students to its graduate programs (MA and Ph.D.) with and without funding. Each student should refer to his or her departmental offer letter for specific details about their funding support. The information provided below serves to clarify the language of our funding offers and to help our graduate students pursue additional sources of funding within and outside of the department.

Regardless of the initial financial package, the department seeks to ensure that all continuing Ph.D. students are financially supported. To the extent that resources are insufficient to meet student's need, the department, on the advice of the graduate committee, will rank students using a combined criterion of academic performance and financial need to award funds.

To be elligible for any type of funding graduate students must be enrolled in 12 units of upper-division (100-199) or graduate level (200-299) courses during the regular academic year, maintain a minimum grade-point average of 3.0, and be within their Support Time Limit. Financial support is not renewed automatically but is approved by the department on a yearly basis.

Departmental Funding

Admissions Offer Letter Funding Packages

About the Offer Letter

A student's offer letter is their contract with the department. Annually, in late spring quarter, the department will ask students about their funding plans for the next academic year. This is a good time to revisit your offer letter to request unused research funds, or remind graduate program staff about the specifc details of your admissions offer.

Admission Fellowships

The Department offers most incoming PhD students fellowship packages. Fellowship packages are a combination of a tuition and fees scholarships, a stipend, guarunteed emplyment and salary, and in some cases a Dissertation Year Fellowship. 

Dissertation Fellowships

Dissertation fellowships are intended to give graduate students who have advanced to candidacy the opportunity for dedicated writing time and normally include a stipend and a fees scholarship for the payment of resident tuition and fees and, if applicable, non-resident tuition.Students with guaranteed dissertation funding (as stipulated in their letter of admission) may use some or all of this funding as a writing fellowship. A student who intends to use their guaranteed dissertation funding should ask their advisor to notify the Graduate Coordinator during the spring quarter of the year before its intended use. 

Dissertation Fellowship Disbursement Request

To communiate how you would like your dissertation fellowship dispersed please click the button to the right to fill out and route for signature the Dissertation Fellowship Disbursement Request form via DocuSign. You will need to enter:

  1. your name and email
  2. the name and email of your faculty advisor

Fee Scholarships for Non-(CA) Resident Students

Within the limits of available funds, tuition scholarships are also available to graduate students who are not legal residents of the state of California. Students who are citizens of the United States qualify for California residency before their second year at UCSD. It is the responsibility of the student to file a declaration of residency. It is a policy of the Graduate Division not to offer tuition assistance to continuing students after their first year at graduate school.

Fee Scholarships for International Students

Depending on annual budgetary considerations, it is the policy of the department to provide a scholarship for tuition to all non-resident teaching assistants who were initially admitted to the program with a tuition scholarship along with the understanding that this assistance would be continued in subsequent years. Language teaching assistants normally receive tuition scholarships for one quarter from the Department of Linguistics and two quarters from the Department of History.

Stipend Disbursement

Stipends are a one-time or a fixed regular sum paid to support a student's cost of living without the obligations of employment. Most departmental stipends are part of fellowship packages, or awarded as research funds in offer letters. Stipend payments are disbursed at the end of the month (for example, a September stipend will be disbursed October 1). More information about stipend disbursements can be found on the Student Financial Services page.

If you have received an award that you would like to be paid out as a stipend, please use the Stipend Disbursement form to communicate how you would like your stipend disbursed. 

Stipend Disbursement form (.xlxs)

Stipend Disbursement Entry Deadlines (PDF)

TAHI/TAFI Tuition and Fee Remission

Academic Student Employees (TAs, Readers, GSRs, Assoc.-Ins) receive a partial remission of fees when assigned to a 25% or above appointment. TA Health Insurance (TAHI) is funded by the Office of the President. TA Fee Remission (TAFE) is funded by each campus and pays 100% of the Student Services Fee and Tuition. 

Remitted fees (fees the student doesn't pay):

  • Student Services Fee
  • Tuition
  • Health Insurance

Unremitted campus fees* (fees the student pays):

  • Grad Student Association Fee
  • University Center Fee
  • RIMAC Recreation Facility Fee
  • Canyonview Recreation Fee
  • CAPS/Student Mental Health Fee 
  • Student Transportation Fee

*Effective Winter 2019, TAFE will also pay $100 towards the unremitted campus fees. 

A complete list of graduate student tuition and fees can be found on the Graduate Division website.

Tuition and Fees Scholarships

 Availability of all fee scholarships is dependent upon the annual budget. 

In-Absentia Fee Scholarship

Students who have advanced to candidacy are eligible to receive a fee scholarship to pay the balance of the In-Absentia Registration fees waiver for three(3) quarters. Students who receive an extra-departmental award ($10,500.00 for the academic year/$3500.00 per quarter) are eligible to receive up to an additional three (3) quarters of In Absentia registration tuition and fees paid by the department. 

In-Residence Fee Scholarships

Students who have advanced to candidacy and have been awarded an extramural (outside of the UC) grants/fellowship  ($18,000 ay/$6,000 per qtr) are eligible to receive a fees scholarship ($17,000 in residence tuition).

In-Absentia Registration

Departmental Payment of In Absentia Tuition and Fees

Where the Dean of the Graduate Division has approved In Absentia status, the Department will normally (assuming funds are available) pay tuition costs for one academic year (three quarters). Students who receive an extra-departmental award (note threshold amounts) are eligible to receive up to an additional three (3) quarters of In Absentia registration tuition and fees paid by the department. In no case will the department pay In Absentia tuition and fee costs beyond two academic years (six quarters) of In Absentia status. These limits on support time and the purpose of In Absentia tuition are firm rules; no petitions or requests for exceptions will be considered.

Activities that Qualify for In Absentia Status

  • field research
  • coursework away from campus
  • a residential fellowship that requires residence away from the San Diego*

*Student's advisor must confirm that holding such a fellowship would be the best course of action for the student to advance toward the degree.

External Award Thresholds

$10,500.00 for the academic year/$3500.00 per quarter

Department of History In-Absentia Policy-Full Text [PDF]

Extended Field Research Grants


Extended Field Research Grants are meant to support students who have applied for and not received extra-departmental funding to support research away from San Diego. A condition of the award is that it be used only to satisfy an unmet financial need.  If you subsequently receive extra-departmental funding that will cover all or part of the unmet financial need stated in your proposal, you are required to repay the department for such amounts (or make arrangements with the department so that the appropriate amount of the departmental award is not paid to you).  This is essential to preserve scarce departmental funds used to support the needs of all students in the graduate program. Failure to disclose such additional extra-departmental awards and arrange necessary reductions or reimbursements may render you ineligible to receive any additional departmental research and travel funding.


Available funds are STRICTLY limited to those students who have satisfied all of the following conditions:

  • passed their qualifying exams and advanced to candidacy
  • applied for and did not receive, extended field research funding from outside of the department for the coming academic year
  • demonstrated that they are in need of extended travel for research related to the dissertation 
  • not previously received one academic year or more of funding for extended field research from the department

The department will send out a call for proposals once a year in the spring quarter for the following academic year. The availability of this grant is dependent upon the annual budget.

Travel Grants

The department has limited funds to assist graduate students with research expenses. Students may apply for a maximum of $1,500 a year to cover travel, subsistence, and other expenses for research purposes. Preference for these research awards will be given to students who are advanced to candidacy, are within normative time limits, and have not received previous research funding from the department. Awards may be reduced if demand exceeds the resources of the fund. Students with guaranteed dissertation funding (as stipulated in their letter of admission) may use all or part of this money for research travel. 

The department will send out a call for travel twice a year (Fall and Spring quarters), budget allowing. You must complete and submit a travel reimbursement request form to the Graduate Program Assistant. 

In order for staff to process any reimbursements on your behalf, you will need to:

  1. to login to Concur to set up your profile
  2. add Luke Garton, Sarab Aziz, Ryan Moore, Jennifer Hollis, and Sally Hargate as "delegates"
Concur Log in:
Set-Up Instructions:

If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate Program Assistant.


H. Stuart Hughes Prize

The H. Stuart Hughes Prize is award annually to the student who produced the best research paper in one of our research seminars during each academic year. The honoree is announced at the Department of History's Welcome Reception the following year and awarded a $700 honorarium. 

Hull-Marino Prize

The Hull-Marino Prize was named for Dryden Hull, a graduate student who was tragically lost in a car accident while a Ph.D. student in our program. His advisor, John Marino, raised money to endow the prize in Hull's memory. After Dr. Marino's passing the department faculty honored Dr. Marino's efforts by adding his name to the prize. 

The Hull-Marino Prize is award annually to the graduating Ph.D. student who produced the best dissertation that academic year. The honoree is announced at the Department of History's End of Year Reception and awarded a $1000 honorarium. 

Academic Student Employment (ASE)

The Department of History hires Teaching Assistants and Readers quarterly, and Graduate Student Researchers and Associate-Ins as circumstance and funding allow. More information about these positions and how to apply for them can be found on our Employment page.

The University of California Office of the President has mandated that graduate students may hold teaching assisitant (TA), Associate-in, and Readership appointments for a maximum of 18 quarters (summer session appointments do not count toward this limit).

UC Intercampus Exchange Program

The UC Intercampus Exchange Program provides travel funding for registered graduate students to conduct research and research specific collaborations at other UC campuses. The funding covers airfare only (up to $250) or mileage in place of airfare. The funding cannot be used to attend conferences, scholarly society meetings, business meetings, invited talks, or presentations of seminars. 

To apply for this funding, please fill out the form and send it to the Graduate Program Assistant

Extra-departmental Funding

Research Grants

All students are expected to apply for outside fellowships to fund field research, usually conducted in the fourth year. The student is responsible for identifying specific fellowships and keeping track of application deadlines. Many of the major research fellowships are submitted in the fall of the year before they would be used, so students are encouraged to start the process of identifying fellowship opportunities, writing a proposal, and securing recommendation letters during the spring and summer before applications are due.

GSA Travel Grants

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) awards graduate and professional students grants for out-of-state travel to conferences where you will present your own professional work. 

GSA Travel Grant:

Non-ASE Positions

The Career Center hosts a listing of non-ASE positions (positions that do not provide tuition and fee remission but will provide additional income) on campus. It can be found on Handshake. It's best to search for jobs with the label graduate student preferred.

TA Fee Deferment and Loan Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

2021-22 Graduate Student Tuition and Fees

Can you help my understand the charges on my account?

We're always happy to help.

Before contacting a staff please reference the Graduate Student Tuition and Fees chart above to understand most charges.

If you still have questions please send a screenshot to the Graduate Coordinator or Graduate Program Assistant.

If there is something wrong with a payment transaction, please submit a ticket and add the Graduate Coordinator or Graduate Program Assistant as watchers. Be prepared to attach any documentation or screenshots that might be helpful.

How to take a ScreenShot on your computer:

Are there options for paying my fees?

Can you help me with my taxes?

No. Faculty and staff are not authorized or trained to answer individual-specific tax questions; however, here are several resources you might find helpful:

Free tax preparation assistance

1098 Form Questions

W-2 Form Questions:

1099 Form Questions:

1042-S Form Questions (international students, only): Taxes: Form 1042-S and Section E of Tax Withholding FAQ for Foreign Visitors  (Stipends paid on title code 3296 through PPS will be reported on the 1042-S provided by Payroll.)

General Information

Can you fill out this W-9 for me?

IRS Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, is used to certify the taxpayer identification number (TIN) or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), type of taxpayer, and tax status. Graduate students will usually be asked to fill this out when they have been awarded an extramural fellowship. Please refer to the Blink page and follow the instructions under the heading, W-9s for Payers to UCSD.

Blink-IRS Form W-9:

Where can I see records of my pay?

At Your Service Online (AYSO) allows you to see your salary from any forms of on-campus employment and lists your employee ID number for all salary earned prior to May 2020.

UCPath allows you to see your salary from any forms of on-campus employment and lists your employee ID number for all salary earned after to May 2020.

AYSO and UC Path do not list stipend payments, but grad students can go to the Grad Student Portal to view/verify their stipend payments and funding awards.  The link is on the following site (towards bottom of page):

How do I set up Direct Deposit?

There are three (3) offices on campus that provide direct deposit for graduate students:

Student Business Services (stipend payments for domestic students):

Payroll (TA, Reader, GSR, etc. employment checks for domestic and international students): UC Path Log In:

In the left hand navigation go to: Employee Actions>Income and Taxes>Direct Deposit

Note: You will not be able to sign-up for direct deposit for payroll until you have an active appointment in UCPath, usually the first day of the first quarter you are employed at UC San Diego.

Disbursements (stipend payments for International students, travel and other personal reimbursements):

How do I set-up my Concur profile so department staff can process reimbursements on my behalf?

How do the Support Time Limit and 18 quarter employment limit affect my funding?

Both the support time limit and 18 quarter ASE limit can complicate a student's funding plans for their last year in the program. The Support Time Limit (SUTL) is the amount of time a student may receive any type of university financial support, including tuition and fee remission granted through their employment as an Academic Student Employee (Reader, Teaching Assistant {TA} or Associate-In {AI} or Graduate Student Research {GSR}). Students are limited to 18 quarters (six years) of appointments as either Teaching Assistants or Associate-Ins during the regular academic year (summer appointments don't count) and quarters where a student only held Readerships and GSRs don't count.

Students should keep an eye on both of these limits throught their time in the program. Below is a link to an excel spreadsheet students can download and use to track both limits and a graph showing a few examples of how these two limits can interact.

ASE-SUTL Funding ElligibilityTracker (.xlsx)